Some people think it’s silly. Some think it’s incredibly fun. Others see it as one of the most powerful social networking tools out there. My teenagers use it as a true means of communication with their friends. (Direct messages of course for private conversations.)
Regardless of what you think of Twitter, it’s here to stay. It’s even made the nightly news more interactive. It allows the entire world (or just 2 people) to have a conversation in real time while sharing important photos, links and resources. And it’s where students are going in droves to find out what’s going on in the world. (Along with Instagram etc.)
So why should you care? You’re busy at the hospital all day and you don’t have time for such things.
I’d believe the ‘time’ excuse if it weren’t for the millions of people in our demographic that spend countless hours on Facebook and Pinterest. (I mean, where did we even get recipes or decorating ideas before Pinterest?)
Additionally, you may care about Twitter because:
- It’s where many leading hospitals post (tweet) about ground breaking research and technology.
- It’s fun.
- Neonatal parent groups are VERY active on Twitter – you’ll learn a lot from them.
- You find people with similar interests that you won’t find any other way.
- We’re going to be tweeting during the NANT Conference and we want you to be part of it!
If you want to be part of the real time conversation at the NANT Conference (whether you’re attending or not) please do the following:
1. If you already have a Twitter account, simply follow NANT on Twitter: @NANTtweets. You can also follow me personally: @sueludwig and I’ll follow you back!
2. If you don’t have a Twitter account, consider signing up before the conference. If you can’t be there, it will make you feel like you’re in the flow of it, and if you are attending, you’ll have a blast being part of the conversation.
3. Once you sign up, you’ll want to seek out people/organizations to follow. Like I said above, you can begin by following @NANTtweets and @sueludwig and we’ll be thrilled to follow you back. Bam. You already have 2 followers.
4. For those of you who know and use Twitter, we’ll be using #NANT2014 for all conference tweets. In fact, we’ve already started. So if you tweet anything about the NANT Conference, please include #NANT2014 starting now!
5. Today, I’m going add a special tweet for all of you including #NANT2014. Check it out.
Ready. Set. Tweet!